Install Diode Drive
In order to start using Diode Drive, it must be installed and setup on your computer.
Follow the three steps below to get up and running.
Download Diode Drive for the type of computer you are running.
Install and run Diode Drive
- On Windows
NOTE: You must have Microsoft Edge installed because the Diode Drive application UI requires "Webview"
There have been some reports of MacOS Big Sur showing the error "You do not have permissions to open the application dDrive". If you get this error, try opening a terminal window and enter
- On MacOS
sudo xattr -d com.apple.quarantine /applications/dDrive.app(as of June 2021)
- On Linux (Raspberry Pi ARM shown here)
Set the File Permissions for the .run file to include "Execute" follow on screen instructions. Once installed, set the "dDrive Decentralized Storage" executable to have the "execute" property
Open a terminal window and run the installer - it will extract to ~/dDrive
You can then either run it from a terminal window from the ~/dDrive folder with:
./dDrive start_iex , or click the "Diode Drive Decentralized Storage" icon from the UI and select "Execute".
If your installation is not automatically synchronizing file changes, install the "inotify-tools" package via the command line:
sudo apt install inotify-tools
If the user interface doesn't load, try installing the topicons extension from https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/495/topicons/
sudo apt install libglu1-mesa
Verify Diode Drive is running
When Diode Drive starts up, it will load as a small orange icon in the task bar:
Clicking the orange Diode Drive icon will drop-down / pop-up menu options.
That's it! Diode Drive is installed and active on your system.
NEXT STEP: Create an Account
Other getting-started articles:
- Create your first Zone
- Share files or folders with anyone in the world (even if they don't have Diode Drive installed)
- Use your phone / mobile device to upload/download files from your Zone
- Invite other team members to collaborate real-time on files in your Zone
- Backup and persistently host your files with other systems (like a Raspberry Pi)
- Accept an invite to be collaborate with others' Zones
- Move the folder for your Zone to a new location
- Use Diode Drive in conjunction with Google Drive to support Google Docs
To uninstall Diode Drive, see this article.